One of the important savings schemes that is available for employees is the Employees Provident Fund (EPF). The main aim of the scheme is to provide individuals savings at the time of retirement or if they are unemployed. The employer and employee each contribute 12% of the employee’s basic salary and Dearness Allowance (DA) towards the scheme.
The process to check the EPF balance is very simple. Employees do not have to wait for their employers to give them a PF statement anymore. The introduction of the Universal Account Number (UAN) by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has made the process of checking the EPF balance simple. Bankbazaar provides the all the information about check EPF balance online. Given below are the different ways employees can check their EPF balance from the comfort of their homes or offices:
- EPFO portal
- UMANG app
- EPFO app
- By giving a missed call
Ways to check EPF balance
- EPFO portal: Employees will be able to check their EPF balance with the EPF Passbook facility that is available on the EPFO portal. However, employees will need to activate their UAN in order to avail the facility. The process to activate the UAN is very simple and can be completed on the EPFO portal. Employees will be able to check their EPF balance 6 hours after the activation of the UAN.
The step-by-step procedure to check the EPF balance on the EPFO portal is mentioned below:
- Initially, you must visit the EPFO website (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php).
- Once on the page, you must click on ‘For Employees’ which can be found under the ‘Our Services’ tab.
- On the next page, you will find ‘Member Passbook’ under the ‘Services’ menu. Click on it.
- On the new tab, you will have to enter the UAN, password, and captcha details. Click on ‘Login’ once the details have been entered.
- On the next page, you will find various Member IDs. Click on the respective Member ID of which you would like to check the balance. The balance and the contributions will be available on the next screen.
Individuals will be able to download the documents in the PDF format as well. Any changes that are made on the portal will be effective only after 6 hours. However, the passbook facility is not available for In-operative Members/Settled Members/Exempted Establishment Members.
- By sending an SMS: You will be able to check the EPF balance as well as the last contribution that was made to your account by sending an SMS to 7738299899. However, you must be registered with the EPFO and the SMS must be sent from the registered mobile number.
The format that the SMS must be sent in is EPFOHO UAN ENG. Here, ‘ENG’ is the first three characters of the language that you would like to receive your SMS in.
For example, in case you would like to see the balance in Kannada, the format of the SMS is EPFOHO UAN KAN. Given in the table below are the various languages the SMS facility is available along with their codes:
However, your Permanent Account Number (PAN), Aadhaar, and bank account number must be linked with the UAN.
- UMANG app: Employees will be able to check their EPF balance by downloading the UMANG app on their mobile phones. The mobile app was launched by the government last year and various EPF services can be accessed under one place. Raising of claims, tracking claims, and checking the EPF balance can be done on the UMANG app. You will have to complete a one-time registration process in order to avail the services provided by the app.
- EPFO app: You will be able to check the EPF balance using the EPFO app if your employer has activated your UAN number. The ‘m-sewa app of EPFO’ can be downloaded on the Google Play Store. Once you have downloaded the app, you must follow the below-mentioned procedure in order to view your EPF balance:
- After the app has been downloaded, you must click on ‘Member’ and then click on ‘Balance/Passbook’.
- Next, enter the UAN and the registered mobile number.
Once the above details are entered, the system will verify the registered mobile number with the UAN and if all the details are right, the updated balance details can be viewed. In case there is a mismatch in the details, an error message will be displayed on the screen.
- By giving a missed call: The EPF balance can be checked by you by giving a missed call to 011-22901406 from your registered mobile number. However, UAN must be active and the PAN, Aadhaar, and bank account details must be linked with the UAN. In case the details have not been linked, you can ask your employer to link them to the UAN.